Friday, September 21, 2012

Nesting, and the Nursery Mask



Hi Everyone,

I'm trying to be more vigilant about adding to the blog, and not let so much time lapse.  Besides, once baby is here I know that time will be super-limited and I'll be resorting to posting the occasional photo and one-liner.  Blogging is my favorite form of journaling these days, faster than the notes I've been jotting in my baby notebook (although less personal and profound).  And since nobody really knows that this blog exists (I haven't linked it to anything on my other pages) I feel that I have free reign to be wordy and overly descriptive and nobody's judging it.  I'll look back and chuckle at the lengthiness of these posts, but that's a good thing.

Big news of the week: I'm thrilled to report that, after almost 3 months of waiting, we have FINALLY gotten our shed delivered and installed!!!!!! I never thought I would be so tickled about a shed, but it represents the freedom to convert our studio into a nursery.  Everything involving the baby room has been waiting on the shed, and I was worried that it would be the end of October before we got it, which would really throw our schedule off-kilter (obviously I don't want to be ready to "hatch" and dealing with the nursery project on top of everything else).  It will be wonderful to have all that extra storage in the backyard, and finally be able to get to work on the baby's room (with just enough time to spare!)  Currently I'm working on packing boxes in here, and channeling some of the clutter so we can move it out. I'll take before and after shots of the studio and post them once the nursery is finished (estimated time of completion: 2.5 weeks or so). 

Our blueprint for the nursery is going to be pretty simple: shades of pale blue and warm brown, with natural/honey colored furnishings, white and blue curtains, and a brown and blue area rug.  I bought a small square shag rug a few weeks ago that resembles a fur pelt- it will come in handy when I'm sitting on the loveseat and nursing baby, and need a soft warm spot to rest my feet! Lucas is going to make a special baby mobile- after tireless research online, I discovered something surprising: puppy dog mobiles are ridiculously expensive and hard to find.  I didn't want to add one to the registries when there are so many "needful things" on the lists; and I didn't want to have to shell out close to $50.00 for something our li'l man will grow out of in a short amount of time.  So I went to the dollar store and found some adorable little plush puppy dogs holding bones, and purchased them.  We'll buy a few other supplies and Lucas will create a homemade mobile that baby will love.  So sweet! And such a deal compared to the ready-made ones out there. 

My part of the nursery collaboration will be a series of photographs, and a puppy dog mask.  Since we are doing a puppy/bow-wow theme, I started a photo folder for the nursery and saved shots from the Sula Foundation dogs I've worked with in the past (the beloved Andy and Angel, and Javier), along with some great shots of Beau, and a few photos of boats and classic cars in primary colors.  I bought 8.5 x 10 photo paper this week and will spend the latter part of the weekend (post-nursery packing) printing and framing the pictures.  They will probably be the last things to be hung on the walls, but I want to be ready ahead of time.  The next project is the puppy mask- my design template for it is in the photo attached to this blog.  I'm going to use poster board to attach a snout/nose and ears, and will paint it brown and try to find faux fur material to add for accents.  For the ties, I will go with super-decorative blue ribbons or use actual nylon leashes to go with the theme.  Will post shots once its completed. 

The big bargain we got came from Home Depot- last weekend we were shopping paint samples, and in the "oops" section I discovered one gallon of Behr's low-fume, non-toxic paint in the perfect shade of pale blue, on sale for $7.00!!!! Unbelievable! Behr's usually goes for $25.00 a gallon, and this was the only one on the shelf.  Someone's mistake was our bargain!  Here it is:



I think we are doing a great job of being practical and frugal,  yet furnishing our baby's room with good quality products and art projects that are made from the heart.  I am so impatient and can hardly wait to see the "after" of this room!!! Stay tuned...



No comments:

Post a Comment