Friday, September 21, 2012

Day at the Museum


I designated last Wednesday as "Art Day"- needing to fuel up on paintings, inspiration and a change of scene- and I ended up going to City Park.  My first stop there was Storyland, the children's section of the park festooned with statue characters from the beloved books of old.  The plan was to take photos that I could hang up in the nursery for our li'l man to enjoy.  I brought the camera along and took shots of Humpty, Mother Goose, The Three Pigs and a host of others.  Unfortunately my plans to take shots of the carousel horses needed to be put on hold- the rides are closed during the week, for reasons unknown, and I'll have to go back on a Saturday or Sunday to capture the painted ponies.   

Next stop was NOMA (New Orleans Museum of Arts for you out-of-towners).  Wednesday is always free admission day, which is a tremendous help during these financially challenging times.  It's a great place to go, for inspiration and time travel, and to experience culture.  And its comforting to walk around, completely anonymous, and enjoy the works of people through the centuries- people motivated by the same things then as we are now.  The museum covers several floors, but I condensed mine to the main rooms (the humidity/heat from Storyland wore me out).  Some favorites from my NOMA visit:

First was a painting by Degas, of his pregnant sister-in-law Estelle.  The writeup about it was fascinating, and the explanation of how he zeroed in on the details of the flowers that she was arranging gave the portrait a story and heart.  He related to this blind girl due to his own recent illness/temporary vision problems, and took great care capturing her spirit.  And the tactile way he painted the flowers zeroes in on how her other senses came into focus in the absence of her eyesight.  You can read the story behind the art in its entirety below:


The next thing that captured my interest was the painting below.  My reason is shameless: he reminded me of my hubby (insert goo-goo eyes here) ;)


The long dark hair and somber gaze reminded me of Lucas.  I showed my hubs the photo of this and he pointed out that, despite my original observation that it might be a medieval knight or a prince, it was actually a saint (check out the halo over his head).  Ooops! ;)  We had a good chuckle over that one.  Regardless, he looks like a man responsible for his people, from days of old, and the artist rendered him so lifelike that he appears to live and breathe...if only on canvas.

There were so many wonderful and unique works of art on display during my journey through NOMA, but this sculpture is one of the ones that always makes the biggest impression:


With the background of glass, it really stood out, and the details of the body and the intricate feathers on the wings give it incredible impact.  It remains an all time favorite.  In my mind's eye, I can picture an angel hurtling down to earth from the heavens, and catching herself with a mighty spanning of wings in the wind.  As her feet touch the ground, her form freezes and becomes bronze and motionless.  She is the guardian of the museum.  Even faceless, her wings and body are poised and aware of all who pass her by.

The museum journey was fun and educational, and looking at art that spans the years gives me courage to make some minor art at home.  The whole process of art is that you make something from nothing- and sometimes it stands the test of time.  That's our Fountain of Youth. 

Hoping that my readers consider a trip to their local museum in the near future, to rediscover the world of art.  It will help reset your brain as you pursue your own creativity at home.  Looking at all the masterpieces gives insight into the way people lived and dreamed, and it makes you realize that times change but people don't.  We are all connected by our imaginations, and the need to connect and create. 

Wishing you all artistic success and eyes that see the world and capture it in your own mediums- whether that be photography, paints or charcoals.  Art defines what lies at the soul of each and every one of us.  Pursue it wholeheartedly and fearlessly!

No comments:

Post a Comment