Friday, July 30, 2010

An Improv Moment


The paper mache mask line is going strong, and we have about 8 half-masks in the works as of today.  All of them are completely unique, individual and hand-made from start to finish, but one of them will be even more different from the others (see above pic).  This blogger is guilty of being "too busy" and made the monumental error of leaving the room to go grab some tools from the studio.  One of the masks was left on the coffee table in the living room, unattended for mere minutes.  The mask was within reach of Beau (our gorgeous and badly behaved 6 month old puppy), who at the time was busy playing with his toy.   Unfortunately, he has a yen for any new and exciting objects that don't belong to his Beau collection.  So he landed on the mask the minute my back was turned, and carried it off to his kennel.  Minutes later when I came back from the studio, I could see him busily chewing on an "mystery object" in his house, with his back to me.  The turned back was the tip off- Lucas always noticed that Beau was busily getting into trouble or doing something wrong anytime he presented his back to the room.  So I retrieved the stolen object- and discovered the mask.  After a minor meltdown (and a speedy departure by Beau) I took a good look at the damage- the corner of the mask, about 1/4 of it, was chewed thoroughly.  I had put days and hours of work into this one, as all the rest, and could not stand the idea of tossing it in the garbage when so much of it was intact.  Then I was seized by a *Lightbulb moment*- instead of throwing it away, let's work with it- and that's when the idea of making it into a jigsaw puzzle popped in my head.  I came up with the design and Lucas did the work/carved the mask.  Now not only is it salvage-able, but it has "broken the mold" and set itself apart from the rest of our line as being the first carved mask, leading the way for other carved designs.  I'll post the finished product in a later blog- for now it is still officially (and mercifully) in the works. 

No comments:

Post a Comment